Fair Work Ombudsman Resources
Some great resources from the Fair Work Ombudsman available to small business operators including templates, guides and online courses.
This guide will help employers find the right employee for their workplace and will get them started on the right track. Hiring a new employee is not a single event - it’s a process. Understanding each step in the process will help employers get the best outcome for their business.
The Fair Work Ombudsman provides businesses with a number of templates and best practice guides to help them navigate many of the employer obligations covered in the Fair Work Act, including letters of offer and termination, payslip and record keeping templates, and flexible working arrangements.Templates are provided for the following areas:
- Employing staff
- Pay slips and record-keeping
- Hours of work
- Balancing work and family
- Managing performance
- Managing underperformance
- Ending employment
- Work and family
- The right to request flexible working arrangements
- Consultation and cooperation in the workplace
- Use of individual flexibility arrangements
- A guide for young workers
- An employer’s guide to employing young workers
- Gender pay equity
- Small business and the Fair Work Act
- Workplace privacy
- Managing underperformance
- Effective dispute resolution
- Improving workplace productivity through bargaining
- Parental leave
The Fair Work Ombudsman’s online learning centre provides free interactive courses for both employers and employees. The online courses take approximately 20 – 40 minutes to complete and they guide the user through videos and interactive scenarios to provide hands-on skills-based training that fosters good workplace practices. By taking an online learning course, small and family business employers can acquire the information and skills they need to resolve their own workplace issues.Current courses available for employers are:
Get practical tips on how to respond to employee concerns and deliver bad news.
Find help on the process of attracting, selecting and inducting new employees.
Learn how to promote good employee performance and address under performance
Diversity & Discrimination
Know how to create an inclusive workplace, prevent discrimination and handle complaints.
Understand your obligations and discover how to make flexibility work for you.
Learn key people management skills and how to deal with problems like absenteeism.
Our Pay and Conditions Tool can be used to calculate employee entitlements across the 122 Modern Awards. From minimum hourly rates, shift penalties and allowances to leave, termination and redundancy provisions, the tool is a comprehensive guide to calculating exactly what your employees are entitled to. The tool is also used by staff on our Infoline and Small Business Helpline to provide information to our customers.
Employers who are looking to keep up-to-date with important workplace relations issues can sign up to the Fair Work Ombudsman’s employer newsletter. Every 2 months, we’ll send them relevant information to help keep them up-to-date with important issues affecting their business, including information on:
- pay and award updates
- upcoming key dates
- any important changes in their industry
- workplace myths
- helpful tips for running a business
- make enquiries online for priority support
- save results from our Pay, Shift, Leave and Notice and Redundancy Calculators
- request appointments
- submit enquiries and receive FWO’s response
- get information tailored to their businesses needs
- Terrific Tips from Jurek Leon
- Free Tax Workshops in Darwin
- ATO Small Business Newsroom
- ASIC Monthly Fee Calculation
- New Country of Origin Food Labelling Laws
- Free Business Webinars
- Scams cost businesses $3.8 million in 2016
- #NTAustralia Mega Meet to show off Territory tourism to the world
- What's new at IP Australia
- Have your say about how government businesses compete with you